Monday, November 2, 2009

The Season Ends For Me.....It's Going To Be A Long Winter.

Last Thursday (October 29) was a beautiful, sunny, "Indian Summer" evening. The temperature was in the low 60's, so I decided to get the kayak out for a couple of hours after work. With the upcoming time change making it dark by 5:30 and an imposing home improvement project looming (along with an even more imposing time limit on the project), I figured it may be the last chance to get on the water until spring. When I found out I'd be going solo (the low 60's might as well be the low 30's to Robbin), I loaded up and headed to Crooked Creek. Usually we head upstream to the inflow area, but this trip I decided to go the other direction and check out a small cove where Horney Camp Run empties into the lake (near the beach area). The leaves were past their peak but it was still beautiful. With a lot of the leaves off the trees it enables you to see features that are normally hidden. It also makes it easier to spot wildlife. Every where I looked there were rock formations, deer, herons, woodpeckers, ducks, geese, and some of the ugliest spiders that I've ever seen that spun some of the most perfect webs that I've ever seen. I would have really liked to have shared these sights with you but......I didn't check my camera battery life before I left home! I only took about a half a dozen pictures before the battery died. Oh well, lesson learned. At least I have my memories to hold me until spring :-(














This was the last photo I took before the battery went dead in the camera. I'm still trying to learn all the settings, so I'm always looking for a "photo-op" to practice on. I spied this lure dangling from the branch of a submerged tree and decided to try out the macro setting.

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I'm so impressed with your blog! It's really interesting & your pics are great! What kind of camera are you using?

    I hope you have a chance to enjoy some time on the water this weekend or this coming up week since we're being granted a reprieve from the cold & rain!

    My love to you and Robbin!

    ReplyDelete