Monday, January 25, 2010

Winter Stinks!..........In my opinion.





Winter is only slightly more than a month old and I'm already sick of it. I don't ski or snowboard and even if I wanted to go snow tubing I couldn't right now. Recovery from a recent knee surgery isn't going as quickly as I would like, probably because I'm not following the doctor's instructions like I should. Going to rehab three times a week for six weeks isn't really an option with my work schedule. I could, however, paddle my kayak with no problem. I know it would do wonders to rehab my mental state right now. I mentioned to Robbin this past Saturday, that it looked like the water level was up on the Kiski River and Buffalo Creek was no longer frozen. Her response to my observations was, "Don't even think about putting that kayak in the water, you'll get wet and die of hypothermia!", then she threatened me with bodily injury if I didn't put the thought out of my head immediately. Although I took her threats seriously, the reason I didn't go was because I haven't got around to buying any waterproof pants yet and I always manage to get my legs wet somehow........Yeah, yeah........ that's the reason.


I'm also dying to try out the new GPS unit that Robbin got me for Christmas. I guess all the hinting I did about how nice it would be to know how far we paddled paid off. It's a Garmin eTrex Venture HC which is plenty of GPS for the type of paddling we do. I can create a track log and upload it on to the MotionBased website. MotionBased will map it and create a trip log. So far though, the only track logs I've created consist of walks around Vandergrift with my dogs, and I don't need to put those on a map to see where I was.

I've added some photos to this post, of a short trip Robbin and I took down the Kiski River from Vandergrift to Leechburg this past summer. Maybe they won't make this post seem so whiny. Here's to an early Spring!



This tree grows straight out of the river bank.


It extends probably 30 to 40 feet out over the river.


This small green heron was very patient while I got into a position to take a picture.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark! You can paddle in cold conditions, but you must be prepared and cautious. Dress in layers with water resistant outer clothing, always wear a PFD, bring a change of warm clothing - packed in a dry bag, carry a cell phone, tell someone where you will be on the water, use the buddy system - paddle with a friend, and never attempt paddling in any water conditions (e.g. fast moving current, windy, etc.) that you are not comfortable. Also, you need to understand hypothermia. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowQ9bthgBQ&NR=1

    However, paddling in cold conditions is NOT worth a marital battle... so you may have to sit out the winter months inside! Maybe time to shop for new kayak gear? ;-) Speedy recovery from your knee surgery Mark!

    ReplyDelete