Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Back To Loyalhanna - 10/10/2010


The inflow end of Loyalhanna is a maze of large and small coves and channels that branch out from the main creek that forms the lake. A lot of these areas are narrow and shallow and can't be easily navigated by power boats or even larger paddle powered craft. This is why I love Loyalhanna AND my light weight, low profile, 10 foot 4 inch kayak. I can get into places that a lot people don't get to see. I started a little later in the day than I did my last trip (10/2). I didn't begin my journey until a little after 4:00pm. I wanted to experience the sights and sounds of nature on and around the lake near dusk.

I took a different route than I did during my last trip. This time I followed the main creek channel and explored the coves that I encountered along the way.

The access to this area was narrow and shallow......

......but opened to a cove that was nearly 1/4 mile long.

As the sun started getting lower in the sky the creek channel became darker, but in the distance it opened out into another large, bright section of lake.

As you near the entrance to the open water, the main creek channel branches off to the left. In this area you have a choice of three different areas to explore. It was getting late in the day at this point, so I decided not to follow the creek any farther.

To the left is a large cove......

......and to the right is an osprey nesting cove.

A sign in an old tree stump advises you to go no farther into the nesting area.



At this time of the year, however, the ospreys are long gone.

The cove to the left starts out as a large open area.

As you paddle to the far end, though, it becomes very narrow. These tight areas are my favorite type of places to paddle into, and are why I'll probably never own a kayak over 11 feet long. I had to duck under the the low hanging branches, make some sharp turns around some submerged logs, and bounce my kayak over another log that was just under the water's surface.

Navigating that obstacle course was worth it though. It opened out into this beautiful secluded pond-like area.

When the lake water levels are at normal stage I doubt that this area is even accessible. I felt very fortunate to have seen it and spent a while in there, taking in the sights and sounds.

As I paddled back to my take-out area the sun was setting behind the hills. The sensory experience was amazing. The sight of the red sky reflecting on the water, the sounds of the frogs,hooting owls, and carp splashing on the lake's surface, and the smell of campfire smoke in the air made it hard to call it a day. Loyalhanna never disappoints me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark. Some of the areas on the Loyalhanna remind me of the Eno River here in North Carolina. It has many shallow, narrow areas with tree branches growing over the water. I am always excited to explore areas where few folks can get to! Many times it's only your camera that captures a special scene that others would never get a chance to view!

    ReplyDelete