Monday, November 1, 2010

Nags Head/Manteo, North Carolina - 10/18/2010 - "My Intentions Were Good."


On 10/17, Robbin and I headed off to Nags Head, North Carolina to attend the wedding of my cousin Warren to the girl of his dreams, Callie. I figured that while I was down there I'd rent a kayak and do a little touring around the many waterways in the area. I solicited North Carolina kayaker/blogger Mike West, of Durhamblogger fame, for info on Outer Banks weather, rental opportunities, and even restaurant suggestions(Thanks Mike).

The Outer Banks are a kayaker's paradise. There are no fewer than 8 different "eco-tours" available that take you through various wildlife refuges, maritime forests, marshes, and bird sanctuaries.

This, however, is as close as I got to a kayak all week. I took a picture of someone else paddling at Manteo.

This is how I spent my week. I just couldn't put the book down and drag myself off the beach. I did wear my kayak hat in honor of my good intentions though......



.....and I did see some wildlife.

Robbin and I fell in love with the Nags Head area and are planning a return trip in late Spring. I will definitely be doing some kayaking then.

For info on Outer Banks kayak "eco-tours" go to:
www.coastalkayak.org
www.khsports.com

Sunset over the Manteo waterfront.

This was the best and most important part of the entire week. Warren and Callie were married on the beach, under a driftwood arbor, in the most beautiful ceremony that I've ever seen.

1 comment:

  1. Howdy Mark! Glad you and Robbin made it down to Nags Head and enjoyed yourselves - even if you did not go paddling! Sunset photo is awesome and the wedding looked beautiful! Thanks for sharing - the photos bring back fond memories for me! BTW, my wife Rachel and I will be heading down to Myrtle Beach (Nov 7th - Nov 14th)for a "working" vacation and we plan to get in some sea kayaking there. Look for details on Durhamblogger.

    ReplyDelete